site stats
Wet Noodle Posse | Blog

Friday, October 17, 2008

Q&A Friday!


It's Friday, and that means questions. Post your most pressing Golden Heart questions, and we'll answer them.
We spent some time this week focusing on judging, so I'd like to know from my fellow noodlers and readers alike about one of the most positive aspects of judging--reading an entry that scores a 9. If you've had that experience as a judge, tell us about it. What made that entry a 9? What excited you so much about that entry?


Have a great weekend!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does 55 pages include the synopsis as well for the page count? Or are they two different entities?

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Karen said...

According to the rules, available at www.rwanational.org,

The partial manuscript shall consist of consecutive pages beginning with page one, typed, and with the general body of the manuscript and synopsis double-spaced. The synopsis shall not be more than 15 pages. The total partial and synopsis shall not exceed 55 pages combined. The complete manuscript shall have the general body of the manuscript double-spaced.

Hope this helps. I've heard some judges say they prefer a synopsis 3-5 pages, but certainly no longer than 5.

Good luck!!!

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Karen.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Theresa Ragan said...

And to answer Mo's question, I give 9's all the time if the story sucks me in and grabs hold of me until the end. It gets an automatic 9. Great characters and a niced paced plot do it for me. As an example, John Grisham isn't known for his prose, but his stories pull me in and keep me turning the pages.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Esri Rose said...

I believe it was an entry by Laurie Kellog that got a 9 from me. It was a tremendous story about a war veteran, a divorced mom and her son, and I think there was a motorcycle in there. The characters jumped off the page with the realism of their emotions, dialogue, everything. I was dying to read more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]